Thursday, September 20, 2012

homemade milk tea with boba.

I sure love me some boba tea, as evidenced by the boba milk tea glamour shot below.


I decided to try making it at home a few days ago and it was so fun and delish I thought I would share my recipe here.

I started by making a super strong cup of Earl Grey tea. I usually prefer Earl Grey over plain black tea, so I opted for that. You could probably make it with any sort of blackish tea you wanted. In a large mug, I steeped two bags of Earl Grey for 5 minutes (not any longer to prevent too much bitterness). My tea was pretty dark at the end of the steeping. Since I was going to dilute the tea with milk considerably, I wanted the starting point to be pretty dark.



As the tea cooled in the refrigerator, I busted out these quick cooking boba brought to me by a dear friend from the midwest.



I followed the directions on the back of the boba bag and cooked about 1/3 cup of dry boba uncovered at a slow boil for a few minutes until it plumped, then covered for 5 minutes. Easy peasy!


While they were still warm, I put them in the bottom of the glass I planned to mix the drink in. I poured in my cold Early Grey tea and added sweetened condensed milk and 2% milk until I found the perfect balance of tea, milk and sweetener. It was so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment