Wednesday, May 14, 2014

a diaper pouch.

One of the first things I decided to make for the baby, along with a car seat cover, was a diaper pouch so that I could toss it into the diaper bag and have a changing pad, diapers and wipes all contained and not floating around the depths of the diaper bag. I had also heard from other moms that it is handy to have all the changing materials together so I can grab them easily if I don't want to take the whole diaper bag with us to change a diaper.

I had seen a few tutorials around the internet for this sort of thing and I decided to go with this one from Bugglebee Handmade. Overall I found the tutorial really helpful and descriptive. The only thing I ended up being disappointed about was how tight the changing pad, diapers and wipes fit into the pouch--I wish I would have made the pouch a little bigger so I don't have to work so hard to fit the changing pad into its pocket. I'm hoping over time that with use the pocket will stretch a slight bit. If I end up using this pouch a lot, I'll probably replace the outside pocket with one that has elastic on the top so it will accommodate the changing pad better.

 
 
I used a charcoal curtain that I found in Ikea's clearance area for the back of the changing pad and the pouch--it is a heavy, durable cotton that will hold up to being pulled out of the diaper bag countless times. The pink and orange floral fabric is a laminated cotton so I can wipe it off if we have any little accidents.
 
I made the bias tape using a new-to-me method from Prudent Baby and fabric that I found in my fabric stash--I think it is from the cheap fabric section at Walmart. I had a little trouble with making the bias tape, not because of the method or tutorial, but because I apparently have issues cutting fabric straight and lining up edges. :c)




No comments:

Post a Comment